full hearts & full cups of coffee

My journey to Honduras began at 2:30 am on January 14th, after arriving to the airport I was informed that my airline would not let me on the plane with a one-way ticket. At 3 am I am sure you could imagine my reaction… after getting a little sassy with the lady behind the counter I decided that arguing with her of why she should let me on the plane was not going to work. So I purchased a return ticket at the counter for a price that was COMPLETELY absurd (which I have already refunded through the airline). As I made my way through security and to the gate of my plane, we began to board. I heard my name on the intercom being announced… After the second time of them announcing my name I began to listen because lets be honest… there was probably not another Sophia Fitzgibbon, as I listened and reported back to the ticket counter they informed me I could not get on the plane once again. As my face began to turn red and I tried to remember WWJD I listen to the lady who made me buy the return ticket, she informed me that she forgot to charge me two pennies, (I think she did this on purpose because of the sass I chose to give her). After saying an apology and paying the two pennies I finally sat on the plane and began my journey to Honduras.

After arriving to Santa Rosa I began to walk around the neighborhood and say my hellos. As I made my way to the Spangler's house, Marianne had walked outside to take a phone call. She came back in laughing, and I already knew what she was going to say… she informed me that I had a sibling group of three were coming my way. So as you can imagine I rushed back to the house and began to get things ready. Trying to prop my eyes open with my ffingers due to the fact I hadn’t slept in like 2 days..

Before I knew it the Child Services truck pulled up to my house as I was waiting outside. The man who was driving went around to open the door and out came a little girl who was 2 years old and extremely malnourished. As I picked her up she immediately laid her head on my shoulder and wrapped her arms around me tightly. Next came her 5 year old brother and 9 year old sister. Their mother was sending them out into the streets every day to beg for money and work, she had been arrested and they had nowhere to go. Scared and unsure I brought them inside, did a lice treatment, and gave them something to eat. They slowly began to unwind and play like kids do. That night they insisted they wanted to all sleep in the same bed. As I tucked them in and watched them all cuddle together I prayed over them quietly with a full heart. They were picked up and returned to their mother the next day.

As I type this blog a boy named Jose sits on my left side, a boy who has a story that breaks my heart. He arrived to my house yesterday evening scared and unsure of his surroundings. He had on a tank top and shorts, his feet so black I could only imagine how long he had been without shoes. As he began to make his way into my house with a man from Child Services he looked around with insecurity, rubbing his hands together to calm himself. I was informed of his name and age, then stood with him as we watched Child Services drive away. As we sat at my kitchen table he began to share with me his story, something I don’t feel comfortable sharing because safe family members are still being looked for.

As we sat and I watched him eat bananas so fast I thought he was going to choke I tried to ask him questions to get his mind off of everything. As he went in to shower and do a lice treatment I sat on the floor and began to look for shoes for him. My eyes began to fill with tears as I thought about where I was at 11 years old, how I have and had so many shoes I could have worn a different pair each day of the week. As the night went on he slowly began to feel more comfortable, around 10 pm he told me he was tired and wanted to go to bed. As I went to tuck him in he stared at his new bed. As I shared with him this is where he will be sleeping he began slowly rubbing his hands on the sheets mesmerized by the softness, astounded he would not sleeping in the streets tonight. As I tucked him in and quietly prayed over him he pulled the covers over his head and immediately fell asleep. This morning as we sit and have a super hero movie marathon he lays on my couch, constantly looking back at me and smiling. It is this morning with once again a full heart that I ask to keep this precious boy and all these children in your prayers. Especially Jose as he slowly begins his journey to a safe place and quite possibly a place of healing. 

Ps. please excuse spelling errors, and sentences that don’t make sense, because between the dogs, construction workers, loud music, and kids that wake up at 5am, I don’t sleep. I just wake up and drink a full pot of coffee BY MYSELF